Smt. Ahalyabai Appanagouda Patil College of Arts & Commerce for women, Chikodi, Karnataka was founded in June 1986 as fifth institution by Chikodi Taluka Education Society, Chikodi, a premier and pioneer educational society founded by freedom fighters and luminaries of this area in 1919. To bring true the age-old slogan “Educating a man is educating an individual where as educating a women is educating a family, society and a nation”, the college was started by the society. The college is in 30th year of its functioning. It has grown by leaps and bounds. With just 85 students in the very first year of 1986, it has strength of 865 students for the academic year. This was the only women’s college in the district of Belagavi. The college has grown not only academically but also in sports and extracurricular activities. The college has 70 university blues in different sporting events. 8 of being staff members completed their Ph.D. and 2 completed their M. Phil. The staff is engaged in submitting research papers in seminars, conferences etc at the national and international levels. They are updating themselves and using E-Techniques and methodologies of teaching learning process and strengthening their quest for excellence in quality higher education to the rural economically, socially backward students of this area.
The college is spread over 7.5 acres of total area with well developed infrastructure, spacious class rooms, library hall, women’s hostel, indoor games hall, function hall etc., for the comfortable access of students. The library with more than 17000 books, 42 periodicals, magazines, journals, news papers in 4 languages, meets the reading requirements of the students and staff. The IQAC of the institution has been instrumental in raising the threshold of excellence and adopting and implementing divorce innovative quality enhancing measures. It has been a guide, a mentor, a director, a philosopher for the overall prosperous growth and development of the institution, in addition to the able guidance of dedicated and committed management, staff and stewardship of Principal Dr. D. M. Kulkarni.
List of Departments and Heads:
- Commerce Department - Shri. B. B. Patil
- Kannada Department - Dr. H. A. Bhogale
- English Department - Shri. S. C. Jakati
- Sports and Physical Education Department - Shri. V. T. Bikkannavar
- Hindi Department - Shri. V. T. Bikkannavar
- History Department - Smt. S. N. Rayannavar
- Political Science Department - Miss. Rohini Kambar
- N.S.S Unit No 1 - Dr. H. A. Bhogale
- N.S.S Unit No 2 - Smt. S. S. Kotre
- Red Cross Department - Miss. Rohini Kambar
- Scouts and Goudes - Miss. R. C. Chonch
- Staff Secretary - Shri. Vijayakumar Tammanna Bikkannavar